Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Plea for Male Empowerment

Turn on your radio, or listen to some of the latest songs on your portable music player. I bet there are songs about women promoting female empowerment, forgiving a guy who cheated on them, or saying they don't need him anymore. Am I right?
The way I see it; female empowerment has become a massive part of our lives, both for males and females. Walk into a book shop, and they have all these "Goddess within" stuff, and "How to get out of a date with Mr. Wrong." Music shops, you know; "I don't need a man," or "Independent woman." All over the world, women are being called upon to step up and be counted. And, through all of this, not much is being said for male empowerment.
Now, don't get me wrong, ladies. I've read Bridget Jones and I have a vast collection of inspirational female singers on my Zen, (oh, Ms. Deon, be mine,) and you're all entitled to it. It's just…can the lads have a bit of it? I'm not some sort of male supremacist who would like you all in half a dozen layers of grey clothes that conceal everything below the neckline. That is not what I'm saying.
To my knowledge, there are little or no empowering songs for men, except for "We are the champions" from inside pubs during a match. All the songs I hear are about how great their woman is, or that they're sorry they cheated on them and getting caught.I see no "Men face the North, Women face the South," help books, or "Ten things to do for the thirty-year-old single male" in Easons. I walk into HMV, and I despair at the lack of "I don't need a woman" or "I forgive you, baby girl." All these diet and self-help books are for women, as if men wouldn't like to be as toned/flexible/potent as their female companions?Men and women are two sides of the same coin. We're all made up of the same stuff-blood, muscle, tissue and hormones. We have similar likes, dislikes and fears. I'd just like to see some recognition of men's feelings and their needs for love and comfort. It's not all sport and alcohol. Men need to be loved as much as women do. The only major differences between us are physical attributes that come together to create life. Can't we look past that and just see the person inside?

No comments: